Look What’s Cooking in Knoxville!Written by: Mary Bogert
I always enjoy the opportunity to share Knoxville culture with our visiting guests, and nothing says East Tennessee like home-made biscuits. In conjunction with Visit Knoxville, we invited a group of more than 20 meeting planners to the Convention Center this past week to tour the facility and learn how to make southern-style biscuits. We made them feel at home with a little Southern hospitality and demonstrated to them why Knoxville is the perfect place to hold their next conference, meeting or retreat.
When they arrived, we took them down into our state-of-the-art kitchen to give them a “taste” of the South with some down-home soul food cooking. Our resident chef Chris Moore split them up into groups and taught them how to make renowned chef Thomas Keller’s famous southern buttermilk biscuits. To spice things up a bit, we even turned it into a friendly competition to see who could make the tastiest ones. There were no losers, because they were all delicious!
Knoxville City Council members and staff helped welcome our guests and joined in the biscuit-making fun! City Councilmen Duane Grieve, Nick Della Volpe and Finbarr Saunders, Chief Policy Officer Bill Lyons and Chief Operating Officer Eddie Mannis used their southern know-how to help the teams along.
After the friendly competition, we took a tour of the facility, and I was able to speak to the meeting planners about what the convention center has to offer as an event venue. We provide a turn-key experience to meet your every event planning need with these convenient amenities right here in the center:
- 119,000-square-feet of exhibit space.
- A 30,000-square-foot ballroom.
- 18 meeting rooms make it perfect to fit any size group.
- A beautiful $1 million permanent art collection commissioned by the city of Knoxville.
- Talented, experienced event managers assigned to each client.
- Our own in-house audio-visual provider, M&M Productions.
- In-house decorator and party rental provider, ACES, a division of All Occasions Party Rentals.
- And of course, our award-winning chef Chris Moore and his experienced staff.
We go the extra mile to customize our clients’ experience to whatever they need. I enjoy showing our visitors the best of Tennessee hospitality. Our welcoming staff and our state-of-the-art facility speak for themselves. Knoxville is a great place to visit!